Position Summary / Purpose
Execute the timely, accurate, and profitable estimation of property losses. Help close and retain customers by promptly responding to requests for estimates, effectively communicating the organization’s capabilities while maintaining the highest levels of customer care. To help ensure the company’s growth by achieving sales and profitability objectives through comprehensive cost estimating and project award.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate with customers
- Close business–obtain customer commitment
- Consistently hit job profitability targets with thorough estimates
- Coordinate estimates, communicate with subcontractors, and qualify their bids for accuracy
- Create, deliver, and negotiate estimates that are accurate, honest, and by the book
- Prepare written proposals that are clear, detailed, and easy to understand
- Develop an accurate list of materials and equipment needed for projects
- Exceed company targets for sales revenue and goals for sales activity metrics
- Completed estimates will be forwarded to the customer within four (4) business days of the property inspection
- Manage the customers’ expectations to ensure they understand all company policies, guidelines and processes so as to ensure no deviation and loss of control of the job.
- Build and maintain relationships with claims adjusters and contractors
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, industry standards, and internal guidelines
- All expenditures for job-related materials will be accounted for in the project file
- Attend departmental and company meetings as required
- Inform immediate supervisor of any observed inaccuracies or omissions in quoted items or computer database
- Perform a second party review of co-worker’s estimates
- Onboard new company approved vendors and subcontractors
- Attend customer-related functions. Network with customers to help generate new business
- Maintain an on-call schedule to field calls, assess situations, respond & perform site visits as needed
- After hours on-call is required by all estimators and will be for a set rotation each month.
Decision Rights and Authority
- Determine project scope and estimated cost for restoration jobs
- Close jobs by obtaining customer agreement to the defined project scope and cost
Working Relationships and Scope
- All adjustments, modifications, and corrections will be evidenced in writing and maintained in good order. They will be presented to the manager for review
- Estimates that exceed $ 30,000 will be brought to the manager for review prior to presentation to the customer
- Only company-approved vendors and subcontractors will be used
- Customer Service-The individual responds promptly to customer’s needs, effectively explains processes and equipment that will be used, solicits customer feedback to improve service, gains customer approval through signed Work Authorization, and maintains confidentiality.
- Oral Communication–The individual speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication–The individual edits work for spelling and grammar and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning and Organizing–The individual prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality–The individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, and monitors his / her own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability–The individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and is able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability–The individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and Security–The individual observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Technology–The individual uses typical communication devices to effectively speed communication and appropriately utilizes company-approved estimating, customer contact management, standard word processing, and spreadsheet software tools to enhance efficiency and accuracy of work performed.
Qualifications-Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Education and Experience
High school diploma (or GED) or one (1) to twelve (12) months of related experience and / or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Write simple correspondence. Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages, and draw and interpret property sketches and graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding and to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Deal with problems involving multiple concrete variables in standardized situations.
Intermediate capability in using word processing software, spreadsheet software, email systems, and the internet.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
None required for this position.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and / or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and / or move up to 25 pounds.
- Estimator’s work is initiated by a site assessment of the damaged property. Employee will encounter facilities where standing water and sewage are present, heat is unavailable due to lack of utilities, fire damage has occurred, and mold or other organic growth exists.
Noise level in the work environment is usually quiet